A few weeks ago a craft idea popped into my head (I promise! I didn’t find it on pinterest!). When I get craft ideas, I get super excited and want to start right away. Unfortunately for me, this was around 11 p.m. on a Monday night. It gave me the perfect excuse to wake up the next morning though, and by 8:02 a.m., I was walking through the doors of Walmart to pick up my supplies (and groceries, lame).
My idea was that chevron is in and it’s spring, so flowers are in: I’ll paint chevron flower pots! I did google it to see what others have done (I knew that even though it was a fabulous idea, I most certainly wasn’t the first to think it up). I read a few posts (this one especially, she used math to figure it all out, and I loved the idea of painting the rims black) just to get an idea of what I was getting myself into. Luckily, it’s a fairly easy project, you just gotta have some patience (and math skills…).
Chevron Flower Pots
The supplies you’ll need for this include:
- Paint (I used Folk Art Acrylics. They actually do have a kind that is specifically for using outdoors, but I was in love with the neon colors. I did use the outdoor white as a primer)
- A clear spray paint to seal it. I picked out a glossy one from the spray paint section.
- Paint brushes
- Masking or painters tape
- Measuring tape (I bought one in the sewing department, a ruler would work fine though too)
- Flower pots (Walmart was out!! It’s the middle of May & they didn’t have any on the shelves. I had to make a trip to Kmart where the employees were friendly & they had what I needed, for cheap. Win win!)
- Potting soil
- Gardening gloves & a trowel (not necessary, but helpful!)
I’m so lucky the day I decided to do this it was gorgeousss out. Start by getting your pots ready & laying out some newspaper to paint on (yes I sat on my concrete back patio, yes I got a weird sunburn on my legs from sitting with them crossed).
Actually, you don’t necessarily have to paint them white. Helen came over on Wednesday and used paints that were dark enough and didn’t need a primer. Test an area on the bottom to see if your paint will cover it well enough or not.
Here’s where it gets kind of hairy. Since I don’t know how to do math, my dots were all over the place. I should have started at the bottom and worked my way up to the top (I think??). Eventually I kind of gave up and just eye-balled it. The lines weren’t super even in the end, but I think they look fine.
I don’t know how I ended up getting them to look even for the most part, so just play with it. It took a lot of taping and retaping before I got it to where I liked it. [also…don’t tape inside on the carpet when you have cats…you’ll get outside the next morning and have tons of hair stuck inside the tape. Don’t say I didn’t warn ya!]
I was originally going to just paint like two of the taped-off sections, then I realized, duh, it will be white from where I take the tape off. So,when you start painting, just go for it. It doesn’t have to be super pretty. I used a sponge paint brush for this (but I think on the others I just used regular brushes).
Here’s where I stopped taking pictures I guess. When I put the first layer of pink on, it was super super thin. To fix that, I mixed it with white to make it a more solid color and that worked much better. I did a couple (maybe three?) layers of the mixed paint and then went and did a few more layers of just the neon pink. Since it was so warm out that day, the paint dried quickly & I didn’t have to wait between layers.
When I got home from work, I could not wait to get back out there and continue! After I pulled the tape of, it was (clearly) kind of a mess. I carefully painted in the white sections with a few layers of white to cover up the pencil marks and where the pink got under the tape. I think I also put on a little more pink (I’m obsessed with this color).
I taped off the other two pots that night, then did the same process on Wednesday morning. Helen came over and we enjoyed the sun and some iced coffee. It was a perfect morning.
That night, I painted the rims of the pots black. I just love how the black makes the bright colors pop even more. I then sprayed them with a clear, glossy spray paint to seal them.
You can see some imperfections from up close, but from far away you can’t. Plus, I don’t care 🙂
Then it was potting time. My dad is the king of flowers, but I had no clue what I was doing. I picked out some petunias that I thought looked nice together and bought some soil. I also got myself a trowel and Helen picked me up a pair of gardening gloves (that she gave me after I’d already potted the plants, oh well-guess I have to get some more!).
Sidenote…I met my new neighbors on the hot, Saturday morning after I’d just gotten done planting the flowers. I.looked.great…
This is a super cute and fairly easy project to jazz up your front or back porch for the spring!
Another sidenote: it’s been over a week and my flowers are still alive! hooray!